Saturday, September 22, 2012

They Go Together Like Horse and Carriage

Love is such a complicated thing. At least from my perception of things. People get together, and then break up 3 months later, and then get together with someone else, and repeat.
And if it's not your typical high school relationship, it's marriage. Why are so many people divorcing? I've even hear of people who go into marriages, with this perspective that they can have fun with this person for what, 15, 20 years? And then divorce after they had their time together.
And that's if the couple even does get married. For those that don't, I just ask "why not?"
My perspective on life is coated with my religious values, but sadly, not everyone sees life the same way. So I'll just throw my side of the story with a more secular analysis.
Doesn't anyone understand the value of marriage anymore? It means exactly what is read at every wedding: will you take me to have and to hold from this day forward / To love, comfort, and honor, / for better or for worse, / for richer or for poorer, / in sickness and in health, / to laugh with you in joy, / to grieve with you in sorrow, / to grow with you in love, / as long as we both shall live.
It's means commitment! It means that even if you have "irreconcilable differences", you'll find your way through it. That's Love.
But not many people understand that. C.S. Lewis got it right on the spot with this quote about humans:

We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased.

We are half-hearted creatures.
Half-hearted.
Creatures.

And just a quick shift to my perspective on love: thank you Jim and Pam, Cory and Tapanga, and every other romantic comedy or drama that has ever lived, for making me the most desperate, hopelessly hopeful romantic that has ever lived.
And with that, I finish my rant.
Camila P

P.s. just in case you didn't get the title: "Love and marriage, love and marriage, they go together like a horse and carriage..." by Frank Sinatra

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your Point.of.View